Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's Not Fair!

This month, I decided that it is time that Jolee needs to be potty trained. She is almost 3 years old and it is time. I'll be honest. I employ the bribery method using candy. Since the kids do not get a lot of candy, this is a major deal to both of them. Just last week, Jolee went to the potty without any prompting from me. I was so proud for those brief few minutes. But, like many things, it all went down hill from there. Here's how it went down.

Jolee: ( who just used the potty) I big girl now, Mommy! I big girl now! I get candy?
Me: Yay, Jolee you are a big girl!
So, I help Jolee dump, flush, pull up her pants and wash up. Then I give her a smartie from the Halloween bucket. Yes, it's leftover halloween candy. Jolee happily walks away. Alek, hears this and comes up stairs...

Alek: I used the potty...
Me: So?Alek: I used the potty...
Me: You're six, almost 7. You should be using the potty.
Alek: Realizing it's a lost cause, walks away

At that point, I realize that Alek has no way of earning such a treat, so I caved. I gave him a smartie. For using the potty. At 6, soon to be 7. I know, I'm not perfect. I aim to be the good enough mom. It's working well for me so far. Anyway...

Me: Okay, Alek you can have a smartie.

Alek runs away, happy with his smartie. Jolee, however sees this and is not happy. Not. One. Bit. She runs back to me, shouting,

Jolee: Alek no potty, get candy??? Alek no potty, get candy??? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa! WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Me: Crap. Okay, you get two for going potty.
Jolee: (tears instantly gone) Yay, Candy!!

Remeber, I'm not aiming for perfection. Actually, at that point, I was aiming for quiet since my husband had just called and I hadn't heard from him in days. A few minutes later, Miss Jolee came back demanding more candy. I firmly denied this request. Candy is for potty training (regardless of age). Once denied, my sweet daughter went into a full out tantrum. I watched said tantrum for a solid 30 minutes. Boy, I was exhausted just watching. After 30 minutes, it was bed time. Sweet, glorious, quiet bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment