Monday, June 22, 2009

Consequences

Recently, my husband and I have decided to buy a computer for our son. Alek did very well in school last semester. In fact, he improved in almost every subject. Furthermore, Alek has always loved computer class and consistently received good grades in that subject. To encourage this interest, and to reward him for a good semester, we decided to buy Alek a computer and have him build it with a friend of mine. So, with the help of my very smart friend, Branden, I ordered computer parts from NewEgg. The computer parts arrived less than 2 business days later-wow! Branden was to come over last Saturday to show Alek how to build his very own computer. Unfortunately, Alek happened.

On Friday, while at daycare, Alek intentionally broke his beloved Nintendo DS. The very Nintendo DS that he begged for for over a year. Originally, Alek told his care provider that he broke it because he was frustrated by a game. Alek is a lot of things, but destructive and violent are not it. Once home, when faced with threat of further punishement, Alek fessed up that he broke the game system, "just to see what would happen". This is exactly like something my son do, so I believed it. BUT, there were still consequences.

Alek: I just wanted to see what would happen.
Me: Oh, well that's easy. You wanted to know the consequences, huh? Well, that is something I help you figure out. Let me see... Consequence #1: You no longer have a DS, nor will anyone buy you a replacement. Consequence #2: You can no longer be trusted with expensive electronic toys. Since you cannot be trusted with expensive electronic toys, you can not build your computer tomorrow (or this month). Consequence #3: Do you need more?
Alek: No! Runs away sobbing.

I have to admit, I am very disappointed. I was really looking forward to Alek building his new computer. I know he would have loved it. It is such a great learning experience for him.

Oh, guess what? My super smart friend, Branden can fix the DS. Looks like I'm getting a refurbished Nintendo DS! Woo Hoo! I plan to play it in front of Alek whenever the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes it's good to be the queen, er I mean the mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment